4.12.2016

Sal de Gusano Deliciousness

My recent travels to Oaxaca have introduced me to some very interesting ingredients, sal de gusano being one of my all-time favorites.  Sal de gusano, or "worm salt", is quite literally ground up sea salt, worms and chiles.  These aren't just any worms, they are maguey worms which are actually caterpillars that feed on maguey and agave plants.  I know it sounds a wee bit scary but I promise it's really very good.  I've been adding it to just about everything.  Its smoky and spicy flavor paired perfectly well with my burrata and strawberry dish.  Serve it as a salad or dessert - either way  your guests will love it!

Ingredients: 

Sliced strawberries
Sal de gusano
Extra virgin olive oil
Balsamic glaze

Preparation: 
  1. Cut burrata pieces into halves (or quarters depending on the size) 
  2. Top the burrata with strawberries slices
  3. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil and balsamic glaze on the cheese and strawberries
  4. Sprinkle on the sal de gusano and serve!

No comments: